Critical Conversations, Driving Performance, EBLK12, Evidence-Based Leadership, High Performance, High Performers, Leadership, Performance, Quint Studer, Straight A Assessment, Studer, Studer Group, What's Right in Education, WRIE
Leaders and teachers are under tremendous pressure to perform, yet most school districts (and organizations in general) struggle with performance management. This means we may not even begin to think about driving performance of our high and solid performing colleagues because we spend all our time “managing” low performers. Studer Group research from its Straight A Leadership Assessment shows that 52% of people who are not meeting performance expectations are aware of it. This means the remaining 48% are not only not aware of it, but they do not have a corrective action plan to improve performance (Studer and Pilcher, Forthcoming).
Where to begin? First, diagnose; determine which category members of your team fall into: low, solid, or high performers. In a video on driving performance, Studer says that we often move into the second phase (treatment) too quickly and without first effectively diagnosing individuals’ levels of performance. What’s the importance of first diagnosing? Again, from Studer and Pilcher (Forthcoming):
For the most part, we’ve found there are some proven ways to deal with each type of performer to move the organization to the next level. And deal with them we must, because less than optimal performance can have a devastating effect.
One important lesson we’ve taken from the Straight A Leadership Assessment is that moving low performers up or out of an organization heavily influences whether it can move from bad to good, good to great, or sustain greatness. It’s a message also delivered by Jim Collins in Good to Great when he stresses getting the right people on the bus and the wrong ones off! The same holds true for school systems seeking to improve performance. Begin today. Diagnose.
Join us August 6 in Chicago, IL, for What’s Right in Education for the keynote address “Driving Excellent Organizational Performance” by Quint Studer, Founder of Studer Group and best-selling author and international speaker. Learn about Evidence-Based Leadership℠ and creating a culture of execution that empowers organizations to move quickly and effectively, driving performance. Quint has been called a ‘fire starter’ for igniting the flame in each of us to be the best that we can be and to “always” connect back to purpose. His keynote address will encourage “fire starting” in attendees’ schools and districts.
Want more information about What’s Right in Education – Chicago? Check out the interactive agenda. Contact Dr. Melissa Matarazzo at firstname.lastname@example.org to request complimentary attendance.
Studer, Quint and Pilcher, Janet. Forthcoming. Maximize Performance: Creating a Culture for Educational Improvement. Gulf Breeze, FL: Fire Starter Publishing.
Our mission at Studer Education is to help education systems achieve measurable results that produce positive outcomes in student achievement, employee engagement, support services, and financial efficiencies and productivity. The goal of our work with school districts and leaders is to provide students with a great place to learn, teachers with a great place to teach, and parents with confidence that their children are getting a great education. Visit us online at http://studereducation.com. Studer Education is a division of Studer Group, ranked for the sixth straight year on the Best Small and Medium Workplaces by Great Place to Work® and a recipient of the 2010 Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award.